- Now that you’ve booked that wonderful cruise for July, August or September, it’s time to start working on your wardrobe for that week of fun.
- You’ll need some basic pieces that can be mixed and matched, some casual pieces for sightseeing and at least 2 glamorous outfits for those formal on-board dinners.
- Let’s get to work!
The Key to Planning
- The secret is to plan around one neutral color and mix pieces that work with that color. So, if your neutral color is black, select pieces that are interchangeable with black and add a pop of color.
- Another color palette idea: Grey as the neutral then add white or cream and coral.
- Let’s explore these ideas. Perhaps basic pull-on pants in Black Ponte Knit and a capri pant in White Ponte Knit. This allows you to take a variety of tops to create multiple looks
Getting to and from the ship-Comfortable and Trendy
If you prefer knits, use
Black/White Tile Rayon Matte Jersey for a cold shoulder top and Black or White Rayon Matte Jersey for the palazzo pants or vice versa. Pattern Kwik Sew 4207 (top) and McCalls 7415 (palazzo pants)
Casual Days on Board
Enjoy all the activities on board the ship with a knit top mixing prints and solids like
Fiery Hues Rayon Matte Jersey (Sold Out), Cobalt Rayon Jersey Knit and White Rayon Jersey Knit. Pattern Butterick 6396
A tropical print like Ecru/Black Palm Leaves Rayon Crepe in a jumpsuit is another option for casual days on the ship!
Sight Seeing and Shopping
Time to take in the food, people, landscape and of course souvenir shopping! Go with a multi color fabric like
In Vivid Color Cotton Stretch Sateen(Sold Out). It’s lightweight and easy to mix and match. Pair with White Ponte pants or capris. Pattern Burda Style 07/2016 #124
An off the shoulder blouse in
Copen Blue Stretch Cotton Shirting and Black/Grey Geometric Stretch Cotton (Sold Out) for wide leg pants is another chic choice for taking in the sights! Pattern Vogue 9257
Oh What a Night-Dancing, Casino or Taking in a Show!
Your wardrobe wouldn’t be complete without at least one maxi dress. This pattern can be causal but by changing the fabric it becomes a dressy one for those formal on-board dinners. Use Silver Sequin Stretch Mesh over the Smokey Grey Silk Charmeuse. Pattern Burda 4/2017 #101
- The key is to stay with 1 or 2 basic neutrals and build the week’s garments around those colors and add a pop of color to spice it up!
- Whether it’s a a 5-day or 7-day cruise, make beautiful memories with the pictures, souvenirs, and great experiences without worry of wardrobe issues. Start sewing now and be sure to check out all the wonderful new fabrics on the website!
Fabric ideas posted by Beverly Gatterson, who teaches fashion design at the Art Institute of Houston.