- An easy way to transition from cold weather to warmer days is to wear garments made with knits. They are comfortable, versatile, and easy to construct!
- We want to give a brief homage to two great designers who specialized in their use of knit fabrics:
- Sonia Rykiel who passed away just recently in 2016
- Scott Barrie- great designer from the 1970s who made classic styles using knits
- Knit fabric and pattern inspirations!
Sonia Rykiel’s knitwear designs and techniques caused her to be known as the “Queen of Knits”. She passed away in August of 2016.
Known for making beautiful dresses using matte jersey, he was at the height of fashion during the 1970s. He was a master at draping jersey and chiffon.
Or go with the traditional wrap dress using Butterick 6054 and make it in a solid color like Cobalt Rayon Jersey Knit.
Printed knits are always a great way to express your personality through your clothing. An abstract print like
Fractured Light Matte Jersey (Sold Out) with McCalls 7579 has an edgy vibe!
Or a nautical knit like
Cobalt Blue/White Stripe Ponte Knit (Sold Out) is perfect for the modern classic in a Chanel-like jacket. Use Burda Style 02/2017 #108
Fabric ideas posted by Beverly Gatterson, who teaches fashion design at the Art Institute of Houston.