Tie Dye Draped Top


I have been anxious to try Paco Peralta’s Draped Top pattern and decided that my latest SMF stash acquiisition would be perfect for this project.  I finally gave in to the Red Plum Tie Dye cotton knit that Roz has on sale, like I needed another addition to my stash.  A quick muslin with my standard square shoulder  a slight forward shoulder adjustment and an increase in the hips resulted in a great fitting draped top. 


The fabric was prewashed and dried in the dryer so I wouldn’t have any future shrinkage in case the top was accidentally dried with
other laundry.
Hubby can be so helpful
sometimes.
I really like to hang my tops
to dry, especially since this one is a cotton/lycra blend.
It is super soft and lightweight.


This project was
perfect to experiment with some new techniques. 
Most of the time I just use my serger to zip up a knit top, but with
this one I used several different techniques. 
The shoulder seams were sewn with a 1.5 mm by 1.5 mm zig-zag over clear
elastic.  
Usually I iron on a tricot
interfacing and just sew a straight stitch while gently stretching the
fabric.  The side seams were sewn
following instruction from Jalie patterns that you can find on 
YouTube

I also weighted the drape by sewing a little pocket
to hold either a curtain weight or in my case a spare quarter that I found on
my husband’s dresser.  The 
armholes were
bound by cutting a 1 ¼ inch strip of fabric, folding it in half and stitching a
¼ inch seam. The binding was then pressed inside and topstitched down.  Mettler 60 weight in white was used to stitch
the top with the exception of the hem which was sewn using a cover stitch on
the serger.

To prevent skipped stitches and tunneling 1 inch
strips of a Sulky product called Sticky Fabri-Solvy which is water 
soluble and
washes out beautifully was lined up along the edge of the bottom of the
top.  The hem was then pressed up and
stitched.  I love this technique for
hemming knits and it should work like a dream with a double needle stitched hem
also.

I love Paco’s pattern and plan to make several tops
in silk charmeuse using this pattern. 
One additional item, for this top the front seam was eliminated by
taping the two front pieces together and cutting the front as one piece.  The muslin was made as drafted by Paco.  

Thanks Ronnie!  Your workmanship is beautiful and you achieved a wonderful fit.  I’m looking forward to the silk charmeuse versions.

1 Comment

  1. BCN - UNIQUE designer patterns
    October 22, 2016 / 9:26 am

    Thank you Ronnie and thanks Roz for sharing this wonderful version. I had not noticed this post. Greetings from Barcelona.!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.