Burda 02/2013 #114
96% Polyester 4% Spandex
Prewash: I washed the fabric in a lingerie bag, warm water on the perma press cycle and dried on the perma press cycle. It shrunk about an 1″ in length none in width.
Alterations: I didn’t need a FBA with this pattern. The measurements of the pattern plus the amount of stretch in the knit made a FBA unnecessary. This pattern has a very defined waistline curve. The front measured ok…but the back not so much! I straighten out the curve to match my shape all the way to the hem.
I also adjusted the side seam on the back facing.
Construction Details: The center front of the dress is where all the drama is.
I used a solid color fabric to show how I put it together.
Make gathering stitches between the two asterisks.
Pull the gathering stitches until they match the center front section.
Sew the gathers down and continue sewing to the end of the dart.
Now stitch the two gathered sections together stopping at the end of the gathers
but continue all the way up the center front. Gather the edge of the front tab.
Attach the neckline facing (not shown in the picture but it will cover up the gathers) and then sew the center front to the inside.
Right side of center front
You will need to use a light weight knit to accommodate all the gathers at center front. The Red Plum or Bronze Tie Dye Knit would work well with this pattern. This would also look great as amaxi dress. Add a cardigan and you can wear this in the fall.