Pattern Review Vogue 1014

Joanne’s Mother of the Groom Dress

I saw the pattern before I had considered what a Mother of the Groom should wear.  It seemed just right to me.  The first few people that I showed the pattern to agreed it was a Mother of the Groom dress.  

The first week of June, Jeni took my measurements. That gave me an idea of what size I should try to draw.  However, the pattern pieces were not usual and I 

was unsure of just where to enlarge for hips or bust.

 I made a muslin.   I made some adjustments to the muslin.   Then I called on Eileen to come help adjust the backside.  We decided to insert a triangular piece in the back. That made it difficult to smooth the muslin pattern flat.

I also decided that my narrow and sloping 

shoulders were not going to support a boat

neckline.  I rounded the neckline of the

muslin.

Once the muslin was made, I was ready for the fabric.  I had chosen a polyester satin back crepe.  Or is a crepe back satin.  I

have always wondered and for this dress it would be both.  I decided on a deep turquoise. 

Sku #P5013 

Satin Back Crepe-Deep Turquoise

60″

100% Polyester

$11.00

Eileen showed me how to make a narrow 

French hem for the edges of the drape pieces.

Then I gathered the drape to one side with a fabric loop.

The line for the zipper was on the bias.   

One side of the zipper allowance needed 

to be eased to the other side.  Roz 

reminded me to stabilize the seam allowance 

where the zipper would go.

A pretty invisible zipper! 

At the July Sewing Fashionistas meeting,  

Bernadette spent a lot of time adjusting

the fullness at my right hip and a dart.   

The dart ran diagonally from the back to 

the bust.  Then she gave me more help 

via email.  And I kept smoothing the back.

This is the ambiance lining that is very cool to wear and very slippery to touch.  I marked all lines on the lining to help with construction.


The lining fit.  The dress fit.  I made several 

adjustments to the neckline to get it just right.

I added some fullness to the sleeve and then 

basted it in place.  Adjusted and basted it again. 

When it felt right and looked smooth I stitched 

the dress sleeve into place and then blind 

stitched the lining over the seam allowance.

 Now I had to think about more than the dress. 

Should the hair be up or down.

Choose some shoes.

 I made thread loops to hold the 

dress on my shoulder straps.It was amazing 

what this did for the fit of the neckline.

When I was ready to hem, Peggy came over and marked the hem.  She has a wonderful eye for that and turned it up smoothly without the use of the yardstick.  I could tell by the feel that it was straight.  Peggy had good suggestions about the drape. Rita was willing to come mark the hem.  However, it was the first week of school for both of us and schedules just didn’t match.  The dress is ready with a couple of days to spare.

Finally I chose jewelry that was a little bulkier than I usually wear.  I had my hair put half up but left it hanging a little on my neck. 

Dancing with my husband

Dancing with my son, the groom

 Thanks Joanne for sharing your special day!

1 Comment

  1. Fabriholic
    October 4, 2011 / 3:28 pm

    Fantastic job! You look great!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.